Back to Campus Fire Safety: Guide for Students

    Each year, on-and-off campus college and university students experience hundreds of fire-related emergencies nationwide.

    Here is a guide to everything you need to know about fire safety on campus!

    • Cook only where it is allowed.
    • Keep your cooking area clean and free of anything that can burn.
    • Keep an eye on what you are cooking, especially if you are cooking at high temperatures.
    • If a fire starts in a microwave, keep the door closed and unplug the unit.
    • Place candles in sturdy holders.
    • Never leave a burning candle unattended.
    • Keep candles away from anything that can burn.
    • Use safe flameless candles.
    • Make sure cigarettes and ashes are out.
    • Never toss hot cigarettes butts or ashes in the trash can.Use deep, wide ashtrays.
    • Place ashtrays on something sturdy and hard to burn.
    • After a party, check for cigarette butts, especially under cushions. Chairs and sofas catch on fire fast and burn fast.
    • Don’t smoke when you have been drinking or are drowsy.
    Electrical Safety
    • Keep lamps, light fixtures, and light bulbs away from anything that can burn.
    • Never use an extension cord with large appliances, like a refrigerator.
    • Do not overload outlets.
    • Use only surge protectors or power strips that have internal overload protection.

    Source for Content: U.S. Fire Administration

    For more information on campus fire safety, visit the full version of our website here.