The National Interagency Fire Center reports that 2015 set a new record for the number of acres burned in the United States.
Here is everything you need to know about wildfire preparation!
- Create an emergency bag of personal items that you will need if you are asked to leave your home.
- Leave your home when asked to do so.
- Make and frequently practice a family evacuation plan that includes meeting locations, a communication plan and pet accommodations.
- Clean your roof, gutters and deck of dead leaves and pine needles often.
- Use building and yard materials that won’t burn easily.
- Keep an area up to 200 feet around your home lean, clean and green.
- Follow evacuation instructions from your local emergency officials.
- Practice two ways out of your neighborhood; you will be more prepared if roads are blocked.
- Hold community meetings and work with neighbors to prepare the neighborhood for wildfires.
- Make sure driveways and house numbers are clearly marked and can be seen from the road.
- Meet with your local fire department. Find out how department personnel can help you prepare for wildfires.