Did You Know?
Based on 2007-2011 annual averages:
- Although three of every four intentional fires are started outside most of the intentional fire casualties and property loss resulted from structure fires.
- Intentionally set home structure fires are more likely to be set in the afternoon and evening hours, between 3 pm and midnight.
- The bedroom is the leading area of origin for intentional home structure fires, while bathrooms are the leading areas in public properties such as stores, offices or schools.
More Facts and Statistics
- During 2007-2011, an estimated 282,600 intentional fires were reported to U.S. fire departments each year, with associated annual losses of 420 civilian deaths, 1,360 civilian injuries, and $1.3 billion in direct property damage.
- Outside or unclassified fires accounted for three-quarters (75%) of these incidents, while 18% involved structures, and 7% were vehicle fires.