Based on 2007-2011 annual averages:
- Although three of every four intentional fires are started outside most of the intentional fire casualties and property loss resulted from structure fires.
- Intentionally set home structure fires are more likely to be set in the afternoon and evening hours, between 3 pm and midnight.
- The bedroom is the leading area of origin for intentional home structure fires, while bathrooms are the leading areas in public properties such as stores, offices or schools.
- During 2007-2011, an estimated 282,600 intentional fires were reported to U.S. fire departments each year, with associated annual losses of 420 civilian deaths, 1,360 civilian injuries, and $1.3 billion in direct property damage.
- Outside or unclassified fires accounted for three-quarters (75%) of these incidents, while 18% involved structures, and 7% were vehicle fires.
Source for Content: United States Fire Administration
For more information on arson awareness, visit our full website here.