With proper training and education, fire extinguishers can save lives and property. Many adults might not know how or when to use fire extinguishers. Here is everything you need to know!
Before using a fire extinguisher, ask yourself…
- Have I alerted others in the building that there’s a fire?
- Has someone called the fire department?
- Am I physically able to use a fire extinguisher?
- Is the fire small and contained in a single object (like a pan or a wastebasket)?
- Am I safe from the fire’s toxic smoke?
- Do I have a clear escape route?
- Use a fire extinguisher when all of these questions are answered “yes.” If you’re unsure about whether or not it’s safe to use a fire extinguisher, and for all other situations, alert others, leave the building, and call 911 from a mobile or neighbor’s phone.
Source: U.S. Fire Administration
Browse more resources on our full website here.