The holiday season is a time of year for family and friends, but is also a time for home fires resulting from Christmas trees, cooking, and candles.
Facts and Stats about Home Holiday Fires:
- One of every three home Christmas tree fires is caused by electrical problems.
- Although Christmas tree fires are not common, when they do occur, they are more likely to be serious. On average, one of every 31 reported home Christmas tree fires results in a death compared to an average of one death per 144 total reported home fires.
- A heat source too close to the tree causes one in every four of Christmas tree fires.
- December is the peak time of year for home candle fires.
- One-third of all candle fires start in the bedroom.
To avoid a house fire this holiday season, remember to stay in the kitchen when cooking, to turn off unattended decorations, and to keep your Christmas tree watered.
For more tips and information on holiday fire safety, visit BeaHeroSaveaHero.org today!