Each year, on-and-off campus college and university students experience hundreds of fire-related emergencies nationwide.
Here are tips for keeping your students safe from fires on campus!
Safety Tips for Colleges and Universities
- Provide students with a program for fire safety and prevention.
- Teach students how to properly notify the fire department using the 911 system.
- Install smoke alarms and an automatic fire sprinkler system in every dormitory room and every level of housing facilities.
- Maintain and regularly test smoke alarms and fire alarm systems. Replace smoke alarm batteries every semester.
- Regularly inspect rooms and buildings for fire hazards. Ask your local fire department for assistance.
- Inspect exit doors and windows and make sure they are working properly.
- Create and update detailed floor plans of buildings, and make them available to emergency personnel, resident advisors and students.
- Conduct fire drills and practice escape routes and evacuation plans. Urge students to take each alarm seriously.
Source for Content: U.S. Fire Administration
For more information on campus fire safety, including downloadable resources to share with students, visit the full version of our website here.